Why Our Pub is Great
If you appreciate restaurant food but love the friendly character of a pub, The Penny Hedge in Whitby was made for you. Whether you’re on business, enjoying a well-earned family holiday, or just passing through, you’ll get a warm welcome and great service. Stay in comfortable lodge accommodation for an excellent rate that includes WiFi. Breakfast is served every day, and is available for non-residents as well as guests.
Unwind with a pint of real ale in the beer garden while you peruse our menu. Choice is our watchword. Our menu has sharers, starters, and main courses for all tastes, moods, and occasions. Mouth-watering farm-assured rotisserie chicken is the main event. Seasoned by hand and slow-roasted right before your eyes, it’s fantastically crisp and juicy. European and world food is always on our menu, and we also offer a wide range of vegetarian dishes from India, the Middle East, and Italy.
Our children’s menu has it all and we have two play areas: a lovely literary-themed one for the under 5s, and an outdoor play unit for older children.
Safety is our Priority
Caring for our People Makes Sense
- Looking after our teams means they can look after you.
- This starts with providing our already fantastic teams with additional training to follow safe COVID-19 working procedures and regulations.
- Each day team members will complete a health screening questionnaire to confirm they are in good health prior to beginning work.
- We ask that you do your bit and respect our teams and any requests they have. It’s all with your safety in mind.
Keeping Social, whilst Social Distancing Makes Sense
Look out for additional signage in pub to establish safe, social distancing
This might include:
- Highlighting where and how you order at the bar
- Removing some tables to ensure comfortable social distancing can be maintained
- Managing capacity, meaning you may be asked to queue outside
Caring for you, your friends and family Makes Sense
- Hand sanitiser is available to use at every entrance for your peace of mind.
- Once inside we’re taking as many steps as possible to reduce contact
- Our menus will be used only once and are fully recyclable once you’ve finished with it
About Our Food
Dishes are always freshly prepared using quality ingredients; like our Red Tractor farm-assured chicken, our responsibly-fished cod and haddock and the langoustine tails in our golden Whitby scampi that are fished in UK waters.
Book a table for a special occasion, or call in for a week day treat. Our pub is suitable for every occasion when you can be sure you’ll have the best pies, burgers, steaks and curries as well as our signature rotisserie chicken on offer. You’ll also find exclusive dishes created by our chefs in our annual Chef of the Year competition.View our Menus